So this is where I kicked off with my school visits in the Silicon Valley. Daniel Birch and Lisa Squire from HPPS came along as well. They had started their visits the day before and you can see Daniel's post and Lisa's post with their reflections from their visit to Brightworks.
DesignTech High School, like us, opened in 2014 and their first cohort graduates in 2018. The vision for their school closely matches ours so I was very keen to see how hey have brought that to life. The Mission on their website reads:
At d.tech, we believe that students are most successful when their education is personalized to their needs, and they are asked to use their knowledge to improve the world around them. " Dr. Ken Montgomery.
- DesignTech and HPSS are skinning the cat in similar ways (this was affirming).
- The concept of FloorTime must be preserved and further enhanced
- Both schools face similar obstacles when swimming upstream
- I was reminded of the whanaungatanga and manaakitanga we display through our hosting process
- Reminded of the importance of moral purpose and courage (one without the other is no good)